Friday, August 22, 2008

Taxco

On another day trip from Cuernavaca I took a fun trip to Taxco with Irene, a woman from Spain who I met a couple of days earlier. She had the most of the day free and hadn't seen Taxco yet so she decided to join me. She has a similar sense of adventure and was up for having some fun so we decided to hitch-hike. After catching a city bus to the edge of town we started our fun trip to Taxco.













We had 7 different rides that took us right to the heart of scenic Taxco. Most were in the back of a truck, but the last couple were inside the vehicle. We met great people and had an absolute blast. Irene had to return early for a meeting with her NGO and it worked out that our last ride to Taxco would also be returning to Cuernavaca a couple of hours later. I decided to stay longer to see more of the town, no meeting for me, but had fun in Taxco and she had a nice ride back.



















The town was gorgeous with white colonial buildings lining the maze of cobble-stoned streets climbing the steep hillside. Houses looked like they were built one on top of the other climbing the hills with a labyrinth of narrow alleys connecting them to the winding streets. Taxco has been declared a National historic site and has been preserved to reflect it's historic charcater. Taxco was orginally a wealthy silvermining town but now uses it colonial charm to sell its precious metal rather than mine it. There supposedly over a 1000 shops selling silver goods, and seemed like that was about right from walking the streets. There were a lot of beautiful pieces, but I wasn't looking to buy. I'm glad I don't have a girlfriend.
























One of the fabulous sights in Taxco is the over-the-top, insanely Baroque Catholic cathedral. It was actually donated by one of the famous silver barons of Taxco and, as the story goes, it nearly bankrupted him to have it built.























After Irene left I continued to wander around the town and decided to climb to cross on the highest hill overlooking the town. It was a steep, tiresome hike, but the views climbing up and scenes of life in Taxco were terrific. Thankfully there was a road that wound all the way up the hill to the cross, that I found after I nearly reached the top, and I was able to split a cab with two Austrian travelers I met at the top.

























Bags for sale

No comments: