Friday, August 8, 2008

Paricutin Volcano

While in Uruapan I took a long day trip to visit the nearby Paricutin Volcano which slowly erupted from 1943 to 1952, rising about 1500 feet above the rest of the land and gradually destroying two small indigenous towns in its wake. The only structure to have somewhat survived the eruption was the church of San Juan which now eerily rests among the flows of hardened lava.

I arrived very early to Angahuan, which is the closest town to the volcano, and I walked around to get my bearings and figure out how to get to the volcano. While I was walking around I saw the church and climbed up the bell tower to take a birds eye look at the village. Angahuan is an indigenous community of Purepecha nation. People there primarily spoke Purepecha, but many knew Spanish as a second language.













Once I found a decent price for a horseback tour of the volcano and church ruins and we were on our way. The first half of the ride wasn't that exciting as we rode down trash strew country roads towards the cone of the volcano. Once we got past the roads the trash started to clear up and landscape was more impressive. At the actual volcano we hiked up the cone since it was too steep for the horses. It was a beautiful morning but unfortunately the clouds and rain started to roll in as we were reaching the peak so the view wasn't so spectacular.


























To get down the mountain was a lot easier and pretty fun too. The whole way down I skied straight down the steep cinder cone of volcanic ash; then dumped it out of my socks and shoes at the bottom.

















As we were riding back the rain really started to come down and it was a long, soggy ride to the next part of the trip which were the ruins of the church of San Juan. It was an impressive sight. The middle section had been destroyed but the decrepit altar at the back and facade in the front stood oddly among the craggley chunks of hardened lava.
























Indigenous woman preparing squash flowers as one of the ingredients in the quesadillas served outside of the ruins. They were pretty good.












Painted tires

1 comment:

rbaker1144 said...

When I rode up to the Castillia on the valcano on Hispanolia (Hati) the horses were much smaller. I had to lift my feet to keep them from dragging on the ground.

Turk