Thursday, August 7, 2008

Hitch-hiking to Uruapan

From Melaque I hitch-hiked my way to Uruapan taking a series of backroads crossing from the state of Jalisco into Michocan. I got most of the way to Uruapan on the first day with seven fairly long rides.











On my first ride of the day I jumped into the back of a short bed picked, put my feet up on the tail gate and watched the coastal landscape fly by











Folks inviting me to drink a coconut water with them












Passing a river under a bridge












Crosses in the median of a road

On one of my rides I was picked up by a guy in an asphalt truck on his way to where they were repaving the road. We passed by a beautiful part of the Jalisco landscape in his old truck
















I was naturally dropped off where they were paving the road, which was in the middle of the country. So I took the opportunity to take some photos of the countryside.















On my next ride I had the surprise of being taken we through the small village where the Mariachi sound was born. Who knew. I was dropped on the other side of town by the cemetery where I turned off the main road and waited for my next ride over the mountains to Michoacan.
















I waited for a while and wondered if I might be stuck there for the night. Everyone that passed indicated that they weren't going far and it looked like a pretty rough and untraveled road. I had the option of taking the main road which would have taken me out of my way but I stuck it out and finally a woman driving a nice Mercedes gave me a lift. She and her daughter were traveling from the states to visit family in Michoacan and just happened to be going towards Uruapan. We drove together for about two hours over the scarcely inhabited mountains into Michocan and she dropped me off in the nowhere town of Buena Vista. The next day I made it the rest of the way to Uruapan.



















Red truck cab

1 comment:

rbaker1144 said...

Where's the picture of the Mercedes?

Turk