Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Erongaricuaro, Mexico

From Uruapan I made my way to a small town on Lake Patzcuaro called Erongaicuaro, or Eronga for short. My friend Ariel who I met in Tucson, grew up in Eronga and invited me to stay there with her parents, Steve and Maureen. Back in the early seventies Steve and Maureen went traveling, ended up visiting Eronga, and loved the place so much that they decided to call it home. They were terrific hosts, and I really enjoyed talking with them, staying at their beautiful home, seeing their amazing furniture cooperative, and exploring the Lake Patzcuaro area.

Steve and Maureen have a beautiful property on Lake Patzcuaro with terrific gardens, a wonderful house, and a number of old buildings. Their place was once a weavery and they have since converted many of the buildings to guest quarters and additional living space. I arrived late my first night, but woke up early the next day to catch the sunrise over the lake from their back porch. Afterwards we had breakfast with their youngest daughter, Ondine, then walked around the gardens and some of the town.





















At one point the lake came all the way up to the property, but has since receded and the lake bed has been converted to farm land. A canal providing access to the rest of the lake runds to the end of their property.














The town itself was pretty small and quaint; there really wasn't much to do, but it was interesting in its own way. There were guys playing soccer in the square outside the church. The church itself was connected to a working seminary. Folks were milling around the town square. There was a street market on Tuesday.






























The town was nice, but I spent a lot of my time in Eronga seeing other places around the lake, visiting the terrific furniture cooperative that Steve and Maureen run and just relaxing around their beautiful property. I'll write more about some of those other places in blog entries to come.













Palm tree

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My dad was born and raised in Erongaricuaro and my mother was raised there. I love going and enjoying my stay there with my family:) nice pics.