Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Caye Caulker, Belize

From Tolum I took a series of buses and boat that got me from Tolum, Mexico to the border with Belize, then from the other side of the border to Belize City. From there I caught the last ferry to Caye Caulker. It was a long but interesting day. I had spent 3 and half months just in Mexico and even though I loved it I was ready to see a different country. I only saw this part of Belize from the bus so my first impressions are admittedly questionable, but interesting.

In the whole of Belize there are less than 800,000 people; there are more than that in my small city of Tucson, Arizona. The cities we passed through were small enough to walk through and most of the Belize had a rural feel to it. It looked like a mixture of Canada and Jamaica. Canada for it's rural, low key feel and Jamaica for it's Afro-Caribbean appearance. It was nice to feel a bit more alert and take in the differences. After so long in Mexico I had started to gloss over, seeing many of the same patterns.

I didn't take any photos of the town of Caye Caulker, but it was an interesting place. The whole island was pretty tiny and laid back kind of place that attracted a lot of backpackers. The big thing to do was diving and snorkeling. The second largest barrier reef in the world run along the edge of Belize and offers plenty in the way of marine life. The day after I arrived I took a day long snorkeling trip where we visited some protected reefs; the sea life was beautiful. I met someone who took the same trip the day before me and have included some of her photos to give you an idea of the trip.

I only spent two nights in Caye Caulker since I was leaving the next day for sailing trip heading south towards Guatemala and Honduras. My Honduran family was expecting me for Denilson's birthday so it was about time to get there.































Nurse Sharks

No comments: