Thursday, October 16, 2008

Boating, busing, and hitching to Talanga, Honduras

From Punta Gorda, Belize I was still traveling with folks from the Sailing trip. Some were going to Guatemala and others were heading to the Bay Islands of Honduras. I was going to Honduras, but heading to the capital, Tegucigalpa. the next day I would be heading to Talanga to make to my Honduran little brother's 10th birthday party.

The first day was long series of connections, but it felt so great to finally make it back to Honduras after almost six years away. I had traveled so much of the country in the two years that I was a Peace Corps volunteer, that it was like coming back home. To get there we took a boat from Punta Gorda, Belize to Puertos Barrios, Guatemala and went through all of the customs and passport control. It is a shame that I wasn't spending more time in Guatemala. I had traveled Guatemala from Honduras and really loved it. Of all of the countries I previously visited in Central America, all but Belize, Guatemala was easily my favorite. Unfortunately it was time to get to Honduras and moving south so I decided not to spend much time there.

From there we took a taxi to the Honduran border, less than ana hour away, and went through the same border crossing song and dance again. My first experience back in Honduras after almost six years was welcoming and familiar. A Honduran man who was also crossing the from Guatemala wore a second hand shirt, most likely from the States, that said in English "All men are idiots, and I married their king!" Of course I had to take a picture with him. after that hillarious scene we caught a bus that went directly to San Pedro Sula, the largest city in the north of Honduras. From San Pedro I caught a bus heading 4 hours south to the capital of Honduras, Tegucigalpa (or Teguc. for short) and made it there by early evening.


















In Teguc. I checked my email and realized my friend Alexis was in town and met up with her that night to figure out our travel plans to Talanga the next day. I met Alexis months ago while taking the Copper Canyon Train in Mexico and we have run into each other along the way. She is from Australia and also traveling around Mexico, Central, and South America for about a year. She was in route to Peru to meet up with her boyfriend in a few weeks, but wanted to check out a Honduran birthday party and the beautiful town of Talanga, the town I lived in for two years.

The next day I took care of some computer stuff in the morning then we met up had a Honduran delicacy for lunch called baleadas, basically eggs, beans, and sour cream sandwiched in a fresh flour tortilla. After lunch we made to the northeastern edge of the Teguc. by "colectivo" taxi. In addition to regular full fare taxis Honduras also has "colectivo" taxis where 4 people pile in and they run a set route. It's a little tight in the back, but generally no problem. What was a little more difficult for us was finding a taxi that could open its trunk to deposit our bags. Three consecutive taxis lined up to take passengers were unable to open their trunks - welcome to Honduras! With the fourth taxi we made to the edge of town and easily hitched our way a little more than an our of town to the great town of Talanga. It was an exciting ride making it back to my old town in the back of a truck. Really the only way I wanted to do it - just like old times!

























Cinder blocks

No comments: