Friday, January 23, 2009

Quito, Ecuador

Arriving at the northern end of Quito I decided to check out the touristy "Mitad del Mundo" (Middle of the world) since it was one that side of the city. It was cool to stradel the line and have some fun with the equator, but that was about it. In Quito I found a great place to stay and life just seemed to work out. I stayed in a perfectly fine hotel room with my own bathroom for $6 including free water, coffee, and internet. Perfect! On top of that I was due for a dental cleaning and found a dentist that took me in right away. 15 minutes and 10 dollars later I was back on the street with a fresh set of polished teeth. Perfect!






Quito was great city. The historic center was cool and there were plenty of plazas, churches, and colonial architecture to see. It had a great feel to it and the people were friendly. The main cathedral was a great site with a terrific view from the top of the steeple.















Quito is the capital of Ecudaor and the home of the Ecuador's President and Congress. One day while I was wondering around I saw the military lining up, then a huge crowd of people gathered to see something. Apparently I arrived right in time for the President's State-of-the-Union address. It was so cool that I could just walk up and see the Pres, Raphael Correa, on top of a building going on about what has been happening in Ecuador in the last year.








Most of my time en Quito I was just wondering around the city. Beyond the colonial architecture in the city center there were plenty of parks and sculptures to enjoy. The botanical gardens were great as well.


















Red sculpture in fountain

No comments: