Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ica, Peru

From Lima I caught a late bus to Ica and spent the night in the nearby oasis in the sand dunes. The next day I woke up to a beautiful pool with golden sand dunes in the distance.



Later in the day I made it back to downtown Ica to reserve another bus trip that night. I was rushing to get to Brazil but there was so much I wanted to see along the way. Ica was a lot of fun and it would have been great to stay longer, but I decided to move on.






Before I caught my bus later that night I made sure to see what Ica is all about – sandunes! Well it is also about vineyards and the making of the strong national drink called Pisco, but I was there for the sand dunes. In the afternoon I came back to the oasis town of Huacachina, had a look around and then went sand boarding with a group from the hostel. The sand boarding was fun, but the ride there and back was an absolute blast. We tore around in dune buggies climbing up and running down miles of dunes, such an amazing landscape and fun way to see it. The sand boarding was harder than it looked. It was similar to snow boarding but not quite as fluid. Still we all had a great time and a fun ride back to the hostel!






























Dune buggy engine

1 comment:

Jackie Rock said...

The sand dunes are so neat! It looked like a great time....You sure are living!