Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Cholula and the churches

From Puebla I took a small trip to a near by town called Cholula. There the main sight is the largest pyramid in the world, by volume, with a catholic church on top. The pyramid looks more like a grassy hill these days than a pyramid, but it still is an impressive sight. A couple parts of the pyramid have been exposed and rebuilt and there is a whole series of tunnels that run under the pyramid. The Catholic church at the top was nice, but the irony of a it being placed at top of one of the largest religious icons of the prehispanic Americas is the most interesting. Either way the views were excellent.




















Several kilometers outside of Cholula are a couple of very small towns with truly amazing churches. From Cholula I took a day trip to go visit these beautiful churches. The towns were very simple and rundown in comparison to the grandeur of the churches. My first sight arriving to Atintec was a pair of horses pulling a wagon of lumber and a guy laying on top. To the right of that spectacle was the beautifully tiled church.































The next town with the next church wasn't that far away so I walked and found a few interesting things along the way.















When I arrive to the other town I walked up seeing the back of the church. Once I made it to the front I realized that there was a wedding ceremony just finishing up. I crashed it as gently as I could.

















Once the ceremony was over I made it into the church to gawk at the incredible plaster work. The church was a amazing.






















Painted advertisement

No comments: