Thursday, June 12, 2008

Tucson to Tierra del Fuego

From Jamaica I wanted to make my way over to Mexico to travel south by land all the way to the bottom of South America, Tierra del Fuego. The option that made the most sense and seemed the coolest was to start from my hometown of Tucson, Arizona, only an hour from the border with Mexico. So I took my scheduled return flight from Kingston to Miami, then bought a one way ticket to Tucson to hang out with friends there and regroup before heading south. I was only there a few days but it was great to see everyone there and take care of some logistics while I was back in the country.

The highlights were having a great cookout with the tenth street gang, going to the buffet (our neighborhood bar), surprising all the folks at WLB (my old work), hanging out with Marcia, drinking good beer with good friends at Barrio Brewery, and visiting the desert museum at night to see one more beautiful Arizona sunset, enjoy an amazing meal, and look at the moon and the rings of Saturn through a powerful telescope. Thinking about my time in Tucson there were plenty of photogenic moments, but unfortunately I didn’t take the camera out much and only took a few photos.












Sunset at the Desert Museum












Beautiful food at the Desert Museum

On Sunday Marcia drove me down to her home town of Nogales, Arizona, right on the border with Mexico. There I met some of her family, had a great meal, and then she walked me down to the border. I crossed through the turnstile and I was off again.












Marcia and me at the Mexico Border

It felt so great to be back in Mexico and speaking Spanish. The people are so warm and friendly, it was a good start to the next part of the trip. From the border I took a regular city bus to the larger bus station to figure out what my options were for heading south.












Buses lining up at the border

2 comments:

rbaker1144 said...

Sorry that you missed getting to Cuba, but Jamacia sounded like a very positive experience.

Liz (who has graduated from Optometry school) and Sean are in Tucson today and missed you by about 2 days (Sean's parents live in Tucson). I'm sure that they would have enjoyed partying with your friends.

Did you have to depose about your truck thieft thing?

Go with God.

rbaker1144 said...

I've been noticing that many of your posts and pictures originate from cantinas (bars) and resturants.

Is this a pattern that we might expect to continue?