Thursday, February 5, 2009

Machu Picchu

I arrived in the town of Aguas Calientes the night before and I was off to Machu Pichu the next morning. In another example of tourism extortion the only bus service climbing the steep mountain to the ruins of Machu Pichu cost 14 dollars for a round trip ticket, about a 20-25 minute ride either way. I wasn't down with that so I hiked along the river from Aguas caliente then hiked the scenic, well marked trail up to the entrance of the ruins. It was a steep hike for more than an hour, but it was easily one of the most beautiful hikes I had ever taken. The landscape was magical and it kept getting better closer to the top.










From the entrance to the ruins was a gorgeous view over the steep mountain peaks and deep valleys. Along with the steep mountains was also the steep entrance fee for foreigners, 40 bucks. I had my “student” card so I got in for less than half the normal price. With up to 3,000 visitors a day during the high season they can take in up to 100,000 dollars a day through entrance fees, and who know where all of that money goes to in a politically corrupt place like Peru. Long story short Machu Picchu is an amazing sight worth much more than 40 dollars to see but I wouldn't feel bad about paying half price for something the Peruvian government didn't know existed until the early 1900's. Coming from the States, Europe, or Japan it's not such a big deal to pay so much but you haver to wonder how a poor soul from Bolivia or Ecuador, both considered foreigners, could afford to enter a place that really ought to be more financially accessible than what it is. Enough about tourism extortion and on to beautiful Machu Picchu!






I had seen so many archaeological ruins in the last nine months that I wasn't prepared to be blown away by Machu Picchu, but I was. The complex was immense, the craftsmanship was incredible, and the landscape was absolutely magical. It has been the most amazing sight of my trip so far. In fairness I was there on a gorgeous day in the middle of the low and rainy season so there weren't that many people there and on top of all at there was another gorgeous surprise at the end of the day.

Looking at the postcard view of Machu Picchu you can see a face on it's side. The first mountain is the chin, then the lips, then the huge nose, then the eyes and forehead. It is a huge place and that extends up to the top of the “nose.” I spent the first part of the day in the lower part of Machu Picchu taking in the beautiful ruins and terraces. Later in the morning I climbed up to the the top of the “nose”, a mountain called Wyna Picchu. It was a steep hike up but the views along the way and at he very top were breath taking. It was so beautiful and peaceful to sit at the top and look over at the rest of the ruins set among the steep mountains and valleys all around. It was simply an amazing experience.

















































On the way back down I hiked around to the other side of Wyna Picchu to the temple of the moon. It was a long hike through a misty jungle landscape, but good to see. From there I hiked back up and then down to the main part of the Machu Pichu complex.









Back at the main part of Machu Picchu the light had changed and the sun was setting behind the ruins. in front of the ruins the rains were coming but still off in the distance. The combination produced the most beautiful, vivid double rainbow I had ever seen. It was absolutely gorgeous. As it approached I could actually see where both ends landed. I couldn't have asked for a better experience at Machu Picchu.
























Double rainbow at Machu Picchu

4 comments:

wrae.lo said...

Such fantastic luck with that rainbow. you're blessed!

Anonymous said...

lammas and a double rainbow now that is cool !

rbaker1144 said...

Thank God! I thought that I was committed to meet you there w/ Nancy Canfield (no way I can afford the airfare).

Thanks for the pictures and commentary!

Turk

rbaker1144 said...

I'm thinking that we all make our own blessings most times. Other times the belessings are from God.

Turk