Saturday, May 2, 2009

Santiago, Chile

There is a terrific organization that brings travelers and hosts together called “Couch Surfing.” I had been a member since the beginning of my trip yet I had not stayed with any families until Santiago. I had stayed with other families in another similar program called Servas, but I was new to Couch Surfing. Essentially it is an internet based program that pairs travelers up with host families for the sake of cultural interchange. There is no money exchanged so it is not only a good way to meet friendly people from other places but it also makes for an affordable way to travel. The idea is that current travelers will one day return the favor by welcoming other travelers into their own home or city – a great concept and so far a terrific experience.

In Santiago I stayed with a great guy named Cristian. Unfortunately we didn't take any photos together but I did of his family which I visited when Cristian wasn't home. The whole family was wonderful, so welcoming and friendly. Cristian's mom kept the food coming and Cristain' brother Alex showed both me and two other couch surfers a fun night out. While I was there a woman from Canada and another woman from Germany also stayed with Cristian.

In the process of looking for couch surfing hosts I met another cool couple on line, Barbara and Joris. I didn't end up staying with them but I met up with Joris one day in Santiago, then the both of them in Valparaiso. All in all, Couch Surfing seems to be a terrific way to meet great people and the places they call home.

If you are interested in hosting travelers, staying with hosts while traveling, or just Couch Surfing in general you can check out the website. www.couchsurfing.com



Santiago was a great city – so far the most organized and modern city I have seen in Latin America. It was a refreshing sight to see after almost a year in Latin America. The streets were well marked, not so chaotic, and for the most part clean. The public transportation was also terrific. The user-friendly bus system and subway would be the envy of any city in the US. Along with the order and modern feel of Santiago there were plenty of parks and open spaces with public art. Santiago had a safe a dependable feel to it. It still had its poverty and crime, but it didn't feel like seedy place. In comparison to Buenos Aires it didn't have as much soul, nor nearly as much corruption. People were very friendly and went out of their way to help out. If there was one thing that Santiago has trouble with it was smog. Still it was one of my favorite cites.













































Wheat sculpture

5 comments:

Joris Vleminckx said...

Nice description and cool pics, Bernie. One error: Barbara, not Barbra! :-)

Bernie Frankl said...

Hey Joris,

Thanks for the catch! I went ahead and fixed the typo with Barbara's name and even finished the paragraph!

Take care!

Bernie

bb said...

great pictures!!!!! was really nice to meet you!

rbaker1144 said...

Chile may be a place for me!

Turk

Zack Kruzins said...

CS is quite excellent! I will be staying with some people through CS in Santiago in a few weeks!