Sunday, May 17, 2009

Posadas, Argentina

From Cordoba I took an overnight bus 18 hours north to Posadas, Argentina, located on the border with Paraguay. In posadas I stayed with a great guy from couch surfing, Carlos. (www.couchsurfing.org)

When I arrived to Posadas my first order of buisness was to apply for a visa to enter Paraguay. Even though Paraguay is the second poorest country in South American and it would do well to increase tourism they make it a pain for foreigners to actually enter the country and spend money. Even though I wasn't expecting much from Paraguay I wanted to at least pass through it and get a feel for the country, so I went through the hoops and paid for the visa even though I would only be there a week and I could have easily avoided the country to get to Brazil. In Posadas there was a Paraguayan consulate where I was able to apply for the tourist visa. In order to get the visa I needed three copies of my passport, proof of sufficient funds, proof of future departure, three passport photos, and 45 dollars. All of that just to pass through a dirt poor country. While I was taking care of my paper work and waiting for my visa to be processed I chatted with some consulate employees who were sitting around drinking "terere", an iced herbal drink similar to mate. My first impression of Paraguay: the people very friendly; the government very dumb.

I stayed two days in Posadas with Carlos. We both had things to work on but we ended up having a great visit and a couple of good meals. It was raining on and off in the city so I didn't get out to see much of it. Still, it looked like a cool place to live and I would have liked to see more of it. I didn't capture the city very well in photos, but it had a good feel to it. It is situated on the wide River Parana, with views across the river to Paraguay.







Argentinan mechanic shop

No comments: